12.09.2011

Bubsy's list DIY supply must-haves!

I have really been looking forward to writing this post! This is a list of staple items that I always keep around for doing any DIY projects. Some are common sense items, and some are not. In any case, these are the things that make my crafting process easier, and I hope you find something here that you could use as well! So here we go :)
1) Paper clips - I ALWAYS keep paper clips around when crafting. They literally have more uses than I could ever list, but here are a few that I use them for regularly.
*Stitch marker for crocheting - It's cheaper, easier to find, easy to replace, and bendable. . what else could you ask for?
*Securing paper for cutting multiple copies - I do a lot of paper crafts, requiring me to cut out multiple copies of one shape. So I use paper clips to secure paper so I can cut out a lot all at once. It definitely makes it faster!
*Holding specific shapes in crocheting/sewing projects - I really enjoy making Amigurumi, and sewing animals and dolls. I often use bent paper clips to hold a specific shape in ears, arms, antennae, and legs. They help to stabilize flimsy appendages! 
*Page markers - This one is kind of a no-brainer, but I had to add it in. I use paper clips as page markers in magazines, books, patterns, etc. so that I don't spend a lot of time searching for the page when I need it! A good idea that I use, is to color code them. Example-Red for important articles, Blue for recipes, Yellow for crocheting, Green for recycle/upcycle. . etc. You get the idea :)
*Securing things while adhesive dries - Paper clips are great when using adhesives, but don't feel like sitting there and holding something together while it dries. Use paper clips to hold your stuff in place, and work on other things while you wait!

2) A plethora of adhesives - With my luck when it comes to adhesives, I find that it's a good idea to keep around many different types! 
*Types that are good to have - Hot glue & gun (duh), regular elmers glue, glue sticks, a spray adhesive (I use elmers), super glue, and NOW 2 part epoxy (lol) or some other strong adhesive for use on glass and metal. Also useful, double sided tape, duct tape, and regular tape. A word of advice; It's good to try and get adhesives that dry clear if at all possible!!

3) Cutting supplies - I keep around different tools for cutting, including sharp scissors, exacto knife with replacement blades, rotary blade, and a strong pocket knife with a sharp tip. One of the many perks of being in love with a chef, is that he is very anal about keeping all our knives and blades sharp :) I swear, that man can sharpen a spoon to samurai sword level sharpness!


4) Measuring tools - My mother is one of those women that never measure anything, and yet her projects always seem to come out perfectly. Unfortunately, that trait is not genetic! I cannot count on both hands how many times I've been unhappy with a craft because something came out crooked! So my rule now is to measure ATLEAST 3 times! I keep several regular 1' rulers, A sewing tape measure, a bow compass (For circles), and other drafting tools.


*Angles - It's good to have tools that allow you to measure at different angles!


I'm going to limit the list to 5, but feel free to leave any suggestions, or lists of things that you find extra useful! So, without further delay, 


5) Paper - Whatever crafts/projects I am doing, I ALWAYS need paper for something!! And I keep tons of different types of paper. A few are, printer paper, newspaper, old magazines, tissue paper, book pages, cardstock, poster paper, scrapbook pages, wrapping paper, graph paper, sketch paper. I love paper, can you tell?


:)
Love
Bubsy

No comments:

Post a Comment