11.03.2011

DIY Yarn Bowl

So here we go, my first post :) 

I love to crochet! It's one of the first crafty type things I got involved with. Unfortunately yarn and I do not always get along. I'm constantly having to stop and readjust, untangle my yarn, relocate my hook or needle etc etc etc.


So, I'm looking around online yesterday when, low and behold, I see THIS


{Picture from Sorella & Company}

*Angle chorus*

Taadaa! Yarn Bowl! My first thought was "Why didn't I think of that?!" my second thought was "I HAVE to have one!" So I went on Etsy looking at the different ones, and I see that unfortunately most of them are priced around the $50 mark. 

If you learn nothing else about me, this particular tidbit is key. . 

I am frugal to the core! So, $50 dollars for a bowl??? I wouldn't pay $50 for a bowl if it was made by Jesus Christ Himself. . (Well, ok, yeah I would, but you get the point)

So I immediately started thinking up ways that I could make one for myself, and I came up with this


Not too bad if I say so myself :) And the best part. . it was totally free! So I figured I'd post a kinda tutorial on how I made it, and how it works (Because yes, yarn bowl making is like rocket science :P)

:Materials:
A harder type plastic container - I got mine free in the mail from Cottonelle. It was originally a toilet paper roll cover.


A pocket knife with a sharp tip - Courtesy of my Fiancée 

A phillips head screwdriver

And a lighter


:Process:
Using your knife, hold the sharp tip against the container in the spot you want your hole. (I put mine a little bit lower than in the middle.) Apply light pressure while twisting the knife  to start making the hole. Don't put too much pressure on the knife or you will risk stabbing through. It takes a few to get it started, but it goes smoothly after that. 

After you have your hole around the general size you want (Around the size of a phillips head screwdriver), use the knife blade to scrape off any pieces of plastic that are sticking out from the hole. 

Take the screwdriver, and hold it under the flame of the lighter to get it nice and hot. Adjust the time spent heating it to the plastic you are using (For soft, malleable plastic you wouldn't need as much heat as with a harder plastic)

After your screwdriver is hot, push it through your hole to melt off the rough edges (to prevent your yarn from catching on it while using it). Repeat the heating and melting process as necessary to get the hole even and smooth.

And that's all there is to it! You put your yarn inside and feed it out of the hole, 

And you're ready to start crocheting with no tangled yarn!

A few things I was thinking while I made it - I like that mine has a lid, where the expensive ones don't. My container is big enough to hold large yarn balls, as well as my hooks/needles for the project I'm working on, but compact enough to fit in my purse to take my project with me wherever I go. And with the lid I can work on my project while in waiting rooms, or wherever I have time, and store my work/project/tools all together safely inside my container when I'm done :)


So that's my DIY Yarn bowl :) I hope it inspires you to make one of your own! 

{Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome}

Love,
Bubsy









No comments:

Post a Comment