11.04.2011

Fabric Flower Hair Bows & Earrings

'Ello luvs :) Hope everyone is having a lovely day! I've been steadily working on a project that will be my next tutorial, but am having just an awful time with adhesives, as usual. . But you will hear all about that soon enough, I assure you ;)

Sooo in light of my stressful day I thought I'd post about a DIY craft that always makes me happy, Hair Bows :D


I absolutely adore hair accessories! I love bows, and clips, and feathers, and flowers, and headbands. . ooohhh headbands. I have a love affair with hair accessories that borders on the unnatural haha jk. . (maybe;))

My favorite hair bows to make are these ADORABLE fabric flowers from Sew Ritzy~Titzy
{Photo from Sew Ritzy~Titzy)

The first one I made was for my best friend's birthday

(Lissa; Aka, the only person who know's how crazy I really am and isn't afraid to be alone with me) Haha. . . 

Annnnyway, Lissa is obsessed with sunflowers, and I really wanted to use that as inspiration for making her gift, and this is what I made. . 

I was so happy with my first try! I followed the (Amazing!) tutorial  except for being confused on one part. Near the end when she is adding the petals to the bottom layer of the flowers, she says she used 9 half circles (Petals), but in the picture there are 10. I've counted like a million times, so I'm pretty sure it was just an oopsy, I mean Ahh, interesting ;)

Anyway, I used 10 half circles (petals) on my bottom layer, and 6 on top. The fabric for the flower I made was some that my wonderful Mother.in.Love had in her crafting supplies and let me use, and the button was also found in a box of her buttons. I thought it fit really well with the sunflower inspiration. 

So after getting my flower all sewn together, I used Elmer's spray adhesive and attached a circle of felt on the back to cover all the loose strings, and stabilize it (They are a little floppy if you don't), and covered an alligator clip with felt, and attached them with hot glue, creating an adorable hair clip.

I just loved it, and she loved it too! And the great thing about this project is that there are tons of ways to change, and customize these. You can do the one's like above, one layer one, you can scale the size down, switch up the number of petals, use fun fabric and buttons. And you can put them on anything, I like hair clips and headbands, but I've also attached them to shirt pins, clothing, purses. The options are limitless!

The thing that I've made that was inspired by this that I'm most proud of though is. . . 

Earrings!! These were a painstakingly slow process to get down pat. It was a lot of trial and error, but when I got these first pair done to accompany her hair bow, I was so proud! They were completely hand sewn because the pieces were too small for the sewing machine. I've made several more pairs since then, and am looking forward to posting a tutorial on the next pair I make, so if you want to make these lovelies for yourself, you can follow my blog to get updates! 

Love
Bubsy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment